Kale has got to be one of my favourite green veggies and it is an amazing superfood rich in beta carotene, vitamin K and calcium. So many health benefits.
I personally like the baby black kale as I find the leaves are slightly softer and it takes less time to remove the less palatable stems. To do this, I use kitchen scissors then layer the leaves and slice long strips like cabbage. Quinoa is all the rage, high in protein gluten free and delicious.
- 1/2 to 1 cup of brown rice
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup of Red quinoa (it can be white) cooked according to packet instructions
- 1 bunch of kale
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 1 clove of garlic crushed into a paste with salt
- Olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- Chicken stock (reduced salt, home made or a good quality brand from your local butcher preferable) or water
- Cook and drain quinoa and set aside
- Pan fry onions with garlic and cumin seeds in olive oil then stir through the rice
- Add chicken stock or water (enough to cover 2cms over the level of rice) allow to come to the boil then pop on a lid and simmer gently until partially absorbed. At this stage, stir through the kale and continue until the rice is cooked through. Keep and eye on the level of stock or water and add more if the rice needs more cooking time
- Once cooked stir through the quinoa, adjust seasoning and serve