Red rice is another example of a low GI unhulled or partially unhulled grain with a nutty flavour and a high nutritional value. Served warm or cold, this dish has been one of favourites lately because it's filling and versatile.
- Red rice (available from your local Health Food stores, Organic Grocers or speciality delis and supermarkets)
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 1 clove of garlic crushed into a paste with a little salt
- 1 fresh bay leaf (optional)
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- Handful of Dried cranberries
- Olive Oil
- Cook the red rice according to packet instructions, drain, fluff up and set aside.
- Steam the broccoli in small florets and set aside.
- Gently pan fry the onions, garlic and cumin seeds in a little olive oil with the bay leaf until the onions have softened - don't burn the cumin!
- Add the cooked rice to the saucepan then the broccoli and cranberries and stir through.
That's it! So simple and really tasty. Adjust olive oil and seasoning to taste.