Ordinary root vegetables made amazing. This is a filling vegetarian meal on it’s own or a colourful accompaniment with grilled chicken, steak or lamb.
- 2-3 medium carrots
- 1 large beetroot
- Meredith Bay goats cheese fetta
- large handful of continental parsley
- large handful of fresh mint
- olive oil
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon of fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1-2 sprigs of thyme or majoram
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- about 1/4 cup of water
- Wash and chop carrots into round chunks (no need to peel). Throw it in sheet of foil. Fold the sides up to create a pocket and add the fennel and cumin seeds (lightly crushed), salt and pepper to taste, dash of olive oil, water, lightly bashed garlic cloves (unpeeled) and a sprig of thyme. Wrap and bake in a hot oven until tender.
- Prick and wrap beetroot. Bake in a hot oven until tender. NO seasonings of any sort needed. Once both are cooked and slightly cooled, peel and dice the beetroot. Toss both in the same bowl, crumble fetta over the top with roughly chopped fresh parsley and mint; drizzle with olive oil, toss and serve.