This homemade chocolate muesli slice is free of refined sugars is dairy free and delicious. A small sweet treat the whole family can enjoy as an occasional afternoon snack, mid-morning snack or as a re-fuelling energy bar after a challenging workout.
A complete nutritious food packed with anti-oxidant properties from the chocolate, macronutrients such as fibre and protein as well as micronutrients such as zinc and magnesium.
Quick and simple to make, this muesli slice is a very healthy alternative to store bought varieties.
- 2 cups of Karen's Krunchie Muesli Munch
- 1 tablespoon of rice malt syrup
- 1/4 cup of coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons of natural peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 cup of plain dark chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa)
- 1 teaspoon of organic coconut oil (virgin cold pressed)
- Line a shallow rectangle baking tin with baking paper (mine is 27cmx17cmx3cm)
- In a large mixing bowl, add the muesli and coconut flour and set aside. In a separate small bowl, mix the wet ingredients by first lightly beating the eggs, then stir in the peanut butter, rice syrup and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well. The mixture will appear as if needs more liquid but avoid adding anything extra as it doesn't need it.
- Press the mixture into your tin and bake in a hot oven at 180 degrees (or 170 degrees fan forced ovens) for 15-20mins. It will be set but not solid and look golden brown.
- While your muesli slice is baking, roughly break up the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl, add the coconut oil and cook on high for 1-2mins. Stir thoroughly and allow to cool. Do this process 1min at a time to avoid burning the chocolate. As the chocolate sauce cools it will thicken.
- Allow your muesli slice to cool to the touch then evenly spread the chocolate over the top and refrigerate until set.
- When your ready, remove the slice from the tin by lifting it out with the baking paper onto a chopping board and carefully cut into small squares - makes 18 bite size calorie controlled gems ready to be devoured.