This winter warmer salad is vibrant and fun. Lentils provide a rich source of essential nutrients such a B group vitamins, protein and iron. An ideal alternative for vegetarians and very filling.
- 1 cup of Puy lentils (black French lentils)
- 1 Head of broccoli
- Large handful of green beans
- 1 cup of peas
- 1 small red onion
- Olive oil
Stock of your choice (I used beef because it has loads of flavour). Make your own or make sure you use a good quality preferably organic low salt brand.
- Cook the lentils according to packet instructions and set aside to drain.
- Top and tail the beans, cut the broccoli into florets, wash the peas and steam the lot - separately!
- Toss the lentils and veggies in a large bowl, then add finely sliced onion and torn mint leaves. Mix through a dash of your chosen dressing and if you're serving the tahini dressing, serve extra on the side.
Tahini, Mint & Yoghurt Dressing
- 1/2 a cup of Tahini paste
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup of natural sheep or goat yoghurt
- Lemon juice
- Handful of fresh mint
- 1 small clove of garlic smashed to a paste
Mix all the ingredients in a jar or small bowl, add roughly chopped mint and serve.
Simple Vinaigrette Dressing
- Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- Lemon juice or organic white wine vinegar
- 1 clove of garlic smashed to a paste
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Mix 3 parts olive oil to 1 part lemon juice or vinegar into a jar, then add remaining ingredients and shake.