Wild rice is a type of edible grass dried and sold as a whole grain. The rice is a dark chocolate-like colour and has a nutty taste and texture. It’s an excellent low fat, high protein and high fibre grain and I love it because it’s an alternative to regular rice and can be used to make many hot and cold dishes. This recipe is one of my Summer salad versions.
- 1 cup of wild rice (cooked according to packet instructions)
- 2 cups of baby spinach leaves
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, diced
- 1 mango, diced
- 1 small avocado, diced
- 1/2 medium sized red onion, diced
- large handful of flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 medium vine ripened tomatoes (de-seeded and diced)
Once the rice is cooked rinse under cold water using a sieve, and allow to cool. Dice the remaining ingredients and toss them through the rice. Dress the salad with my classic versatile dressing. Adjust the seasoning to taste and voila! Eat! Great addition for BBQ parties, to have with a tin of tuna at work or with a grilled steak for a simple but nutrient dense mid-week meal.
Vinaigrette Salad Dressing – this quantity will make enough for many meals. I use a 320 ml jar.
- Olive oil
- White wine vinegar or fresh lemon juice (always 2/3 oil to 1/3 acid)
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- 1 Garlic clove-mashed to a paste with a dash of sea salt
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Throw it in a jar and shake
Variations – There are endless variations with this recipe and it completely depends of your own tastes. Here are some of mine.
- 1/2 teaspoon of honey or agave nectar
Replace lemon or white wine v w balsamic (I like the aged thick stuff)
- Add a stalk of thyme or tarragon
- Try macadamia, avocado or walnut oil for a change
- Add capers or gooseberries